Anne Jacqueline Hathaway is an American actress and singer. One of the world’s highest paid actresses in 2015, she has received multiple awards, including an Academy Award, a Golden Globe, a British Academy Film Award, and a Primetime Emmy Award. Her films have earned $6.4 billion worldwide, and she appeared in the Forbes Celebrity 100 in 2009. Take a look below for 34 more awesome and interesting facts about Anne Hathaway.
1. Hathaway graduated from Millburn High School in New Jersey, where she acted in several plays.
2. As a teenager, she was cast in the television series “Get Real” and made her breakthrough as the protagonist in her debut film, the Disney comedy “The Princess Diaries”.
3. Hathaway made a transition to adult roles with the 2005 dramas “Havoc” and “Brokeback Mountain.”
4. The comedy film “The Devil Wears Prada,” in which she played an assistant to a fashion magazine editor, was her biggest commercial success to that point.
5. She played a recovering alcoholic in the drama “Rachel Getting Married”, which garnered her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress.
6. She followed this with roles in the commercially successful romantic films “Bride Wars,” “Valentine’s Day” and “Love & Other Drugs”.
7. In 2012, Hathaway starred as Selina Kyle in her highest-grossing film “The Dark Knight Rises“, the final installment in The Dark Knight trilogy.
8. That year, she also played Fantine, a prostitute dying of tuberculosis, in the musical romantic drama “Les Misérables,” for which she earned multiple accolades, including an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
9. She went on to play a scientist in the science fiction film “Interstellar”, the owner of an online fashion site in the comedy film “The Intern”, the White Queen—a role she first played in “Alice in Wonderland”—in “Alice Through the Looking Glass” and a haughty actress in the heist film “Ocean’s 8.”
10. Hathaway has also won an Emmy Award for providing her voice in “The Simpsons,” sung for soundtracks, appeared on stage, and hosted events.
11. Hathaway was born in the Brooklyn borough of New York City on November 12, 1982.
12. Her father, Gerald, is a labor attorney, and her mother, Kate, is a former actress.
13. Hathaway’s maternal grandfather was WIP-AM Philadelphia radio personality Joe McCauley.
14. Kate is of Irish descent, and Gerald is of Irish, French, English and German ancestry.
15. Hathaway’s surname originates in England, and she was named after Shakespeare‘s wife.
16. She is the second of three children, with two brothers, one older, Michael, and one younger, Thomas.
17. When she was six, her family moved to the Short Hills neighborhood of Millburn, New Jersey, where she then grew up.
18. At age six, when Hathaway watched her mother perform in “Les Misérables” as Fantine, she instantly became fascinated with the stage, but her parents were not keen on allowing her to pursue an acting career. After this, Kate quit acting to raise Hathaway and her brothers.
19. Hathaway was raised as Roman Catholic with what she considers “really strong values” and stated that she wished to be a nun during her childhood, but acting was always a high priority for her.
20. At the age of 15, her relationship with the Catholic Church changed, after learning that Michael was gay.